Thursday, March 26, 2009

Get on down

One of the most interesting things about Flickr has been the fact that I can merrily upload my photos, create sets, show them to my relatives across the seas...but I can't download them myself!

The whole premise of signing up to Flickr (as they promote it) is, what if there were a fire? What would you save? The incentive screen suggests, family, pets and then photos. By 'backing them up' to Flickr, you have saved them.

I live in a bushfire prone area, so let's imagine that my house burns down. Naturally, I have also lost my computer. Thank goodness I uploaded my special photos to Flickr! Now, I just want to make some new prints of the kids as babies and me when I still had a waistline... Oh hang on, I live in Australia, this means I can't order prints. Can I at least downlaod them to my new computer and print them myself? Ummm, apparently not!

So I have come across my first major issue with Flickr. However, having long been a trawler for good free software (I love open office) I come across this programme made available on this site;

http://www.greggman.com/pages/flickrdown.htm

Well Greggman, you rock! I did have to also download microsoft net 2.0 to get it to work, but Greggman has kindly given me the link for that as well.

Another reminder of why information and programme sharing is so important! Flickr now really does what I need it to do. Stores my photos safely, shares them with my friends and family, allows me to check out other amazing photos and let's me download, print or use my prints when I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment